Saturday, February 12, 2011

UFOs Brought Out of Hiding

My UFOs (unfinished objects) have been haunting me in my sleep. Calling out for attention. I don't know what it is about Saturday mornings...last Saturday I was compelled to wash my blinds and windows. Today, when I woke up, I felt the call of the UFOs. So I rounded them up and studied my unfinished work. First, a hemstitching baby bib and blanket... 



Next, some cross stitch items that were destined to be ornaments, jar covers, or framed for wall...








It wouldn't take much to finish these. Now that they're out of hiding, I'll give them some time now and then.
 
And, last, a very old (and stained) embroidery kit that I started when I must have been a teenager...



I remember this project well. I bought it because it reminded me of my littlest brother and sister, who were toddlers when I was a teenager. We had so much fun together. I felt like their second mom. But, of course, nobody could take my angel mom's place! I was still sister to them. 





I don't know if I can get the stains out of this piece. But it's worth a try. If I would someday finish this, it would means so much to me. Those few years when my brother and sister were little were such happy times. This brings a smile to my face, even now, unfinished.   



These UFOs must feel much better now that they've had some recognition!

I felt the pull of the hemstitching hardest this morning... 








I sat in bed and crocheted while I watched the room brighten with the sun. In no time, I'd completed the first round on the unfinished bib. Now, I just have the second rounds left in yellow on both the blanket and bib. 





I have made many little hemstitched baby blankets and bibs. Maybe it's a Utah thing, I don't know. The fabric for this set is particularly adorable.



Cute little frogs, turtles, and chickies parade around on the front. And on the back are colorful waves.

I started this set about eight years ago, and one day something in my life caused me to forget about it, and I put it up in a closet to wait for its resurrection...today. It's like finding an old friend again. A few evenings on the couch in front of some fun movies, and it will finally be done and ready to pass on to a new little baby. What fun!

My knitting sticks deserve a little rest, don't you think? ~CJ~

No comments:

Post a Comment