Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Storm's Gift

A storm has been brewing for a day. The south winds blew fiercely and the temperature rose into the 50s. Thunder and lightning roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth (as Max would say).

That was yesterday, late afternoon, and I was busy rearranging my second-floor bedroom, absorbed in creative chaos (most likely inspired by the vigorous storm!).

Then night fell and all became suddenly still. My bedroom fun concluded...sleep called out.

I peeked through my blinds and the sky was so bright and light that it could have been afternoon, not night! Below me, the world was silent and newly covered in a thick coat of beautiful white snow. The swift storm’s goodbye gift.


And it was freezing again…brrrrrrrrr!!!! I’ve been so looking forward to the green of spring, but early this tranquil morning-after-the-storm, I enjoyed the white of winter’s return once more.


I stepped out into my miniature back yard and took a few pictures of the snowy wonderland, as the sky began to awaken.


I knew it wouldn’t be long before the sun’s warm rays melted the snow off the tree limbs and then the grass; it was a rare and peaceful moment I wanted to capture and remember.


It would have been the perfect day to play hooky from work and sit at home with my knitting…the blinds pulled up, the sun streaming in, the snow glistening on the trees through the windows, and my purring kitties snuggled next to me. But, somehow I ended up at the office. Oh well, the image was truly lovely, if only a daydream. And this beautiful, snowy day, even at work, is such a gift! ~CJ~  

No comments:

Post a Comment