Monday, February 7, 2011

Drum Roll, Please!

I've been so excited to make this post! It's dedicated to January’s finished knitting projects. With Christmas over, you might think my knitting slowed down, especially since I knitted 19 items (each pair of socks or mittens counts as 2, of course) for Christmas gifts in just 3 months. Phew! I was a knitting maniac. But not so, my sticky fingers have been as busy as ever with exciting new projects. And here is #1...


My first baby sweater! (I'm so glad my curtains, blinds, and windows were clean for that photo! And, that the sun finally came out for some photos in natural light!) Isn't it the CUTEST?!
January was all about babies. There are some very special little women who are expecting and I’ve been so excited to knit up some of the adorable knitting patterns I've found for babies. Baby items are so much fun. They’re cute and fast and colorful. A fantastic combination.

This sweater was so fast and easy that I knitted TWO!

The first one I knitted in the smaller size, and next one I did in the bigger size. I am so happy with them and with myself for giving the sweater a try!
The pattern is Baby Sophisticate (free). I used a size 8 circular needle and size 8 dpns. The yarn is Vanna's Choice (Lion Brand) 100% acrylic (medium weight). It's an inexpensive yarn and nice and soft.  
The smaller sweater (in front, and without buttons in the photo) turned out tiny newborn small. I left the buttons off this one, because I’m not sure if it will go to a girl or a boy. I can easily make it girly with some pink or purple buttons and maybe some embroidered designs here and there. For some reason, these little expectant mommies want to be surprised with their babies' genders when they are born! Just like the olden days! Imagine that!
However, I do know that one baby I'm knitting for, who will be born in June, is a BOY! And he won't need a sweater until fall when sweater weather rolls around. I had lots of yarn left over, so I went to work on the bigger size and finished it in no time (1 1/2 days!). I put bright red, yellow, and blue buttons on it!





The rolled collar/button edge in garter stitch was the trickiest part of the pattern. For this part I had to pick up stitches all along the front and the neck. Not too bad, and once I mastered that, the rest of the strip went smoothly, even the wrapped stitches (to taper the collar) and button holes, which were a first for me.
The sleeves are similar to knitting a thumb in a mitten. Just get out the dpns and go to town in the round!


This is such a great pattern and I’m definitely hooked. I can't wait to make more of these. Next time, I think I'll use a different color for the garter stitch trims!
To go with the sweater, I also knitted little mittens, using the original green yarn, and I added yarn in the colors of the buttons.



I’m am so excited for little fingers to go in these mittens!
The crocheted background in this picture is a baby blanket that my grandma made for my son 23 years ago. She was crochet-machine! In her younger years, I rarely saw her without a blanket draped over her lap that she was working on and her crochet hook moving like lightening in her fingers! I must have inherited my love of yarn from dear Grandma B!


This pattern came from Mittens & Hats for Yarn Lovers by Carri Hammett.


The pattern is called Colorful Slip Stitch Mittens. I used size 5 dpns and the same Vanna's Choice yarn as the sweater. 
This was my first time using the slip stitch. It is so easy and fun! And it does such wonderful things when you use different colors. 
All that’s left is a little hat and a pair of socks, to complete the set. I completed the socks yesterday, but not before the sun went down. And today is stormy, so there's no sunny natural light to capture their true colors. The socks and hat (when it's finished) will have to be another post. But that will be fun, because my little baby boy doll will model the complete outfit! So stay tuned!
On to my next January project. These are my first baby booties. And they are oh, so delightful and tiny!

My daughter shared this pattern from Sox Pixie with me. They are called Magic Slippers. There is no seaming on these little booties. You knit the sole, then pick up stitches along its edges, and then knit up the sides. It's quick and easy!
I used size 2 dpns for this pattern. When I picked up the stitches along the sole, I actually used 4 needles because there were so many stitches and knitted with the 5th needle. The yarn is Bernat Softee Baby in Candy Baby color.
The baby blanket in the background is another one of Grandma B's that she crocheted for my first daughter over 30 years ago. Look how similar the colors in the blanket are to those in the booties!
Next, I made the same booties for a little baby boy.

These are made with size 1 dpns, so they are even smaller than the little girl booties above. I used Pattons Stretch Socks yarn, a light weight super-stretchy cotton blend in the color Olive.



Here's a sneak peek at my baby boy doll modeling them on his chubby little piggies! More of him in another post :).

January was such a fun knitting month. I wonder what February will bring?! I'd like to tell you that I have it all planned out, but I don't. After I finish the little hat to match the sweater set, I'm going to let myself be spontaneous and give in to whatever pattern is calling out loudest. Oh, such fun. I love to knit! ~CJ~

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! I want a sweater for Zoey so bad!! You are so creative and crafty Carol!! I am so glad you started a blog for everyone to see your makings!! You are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! I wish my little newborn sweater would fit Zoey...I'd doll it up for her with girly buttons and give it to you. But didn't she just have her first birthday? Darn! They grow so fast!!!

    ReplyDelete