Sunday, February 6, 2011

Poppies and Primroses

Some things make me especially happy. This plate of vibrant-colored poppies and coordinating bowls do just that. See how the bowls are shaped like poppy flowers?!




They practically jumped into my shopping cart as I happened upon them. In fact, I can't stop looking at them. I love them that much. Because of this, they earned prime real estate on my wall, above my kitchen sink, where I can look at them often. There will be no eating off these pretty plates and bowls!




What is it about poppies that makes them so loveable? Their bright, bold orange and red colors? The way their delicate little flowers dance around on tall stems? The way they proliferate to profusion and create meadows of color? All these things are why I love poppies!

Oh! The primroses are out and three little pots jumped into my cart, too. Look at their intense colors and their practically-perfect blooms! Spring is teasing me with these early flowers.






I rewarded these little pots with a sunny spot on in my dining room bay window, along with my sweet basil. Yes, the sun was finally out today. Miss Holly must have washed her windows yesterday and coaxed it out. Rascal Cat was hoping to catch some rays napping on her kitty stool.




I had to cut my basil way down to little sticks not too long ago. It loves the sun and has started to grow again. I think it grew an inch today in the sun!



It's so fun to see the first plants of the season. Pansies will be next. I look forward to the not-so-distant day when I can kneel in the grass and sink my spade into the warm dirt to make a place for the baby plants I choose for my garden. Til then, I'll enjoy the colorful primroses in my windowsill! ~CJ~

2 comments:

  1. I love that rascally cat! So, for a novice flower grower, what would you suggest for me, if I want to start growing some flowers in my window? We don't have much light but I think that your flowers are absolutely beautiful and have inspired me to want to plant some for my windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I'm glad that you like my flowers! They really were the easy route...I bought them at my favorite grocery store, Smith's Marketplace, (for $1.50 each) and then I just popped them into some little pots and gave them a well-lit spot to shine in. You could do that with any little flower in season. Just make sure to give them plenty of water, because small pots tend to dry out quickly. If you wanted to start some flowers by seed, Marigolds are hardy and grow fast. They could be ready to plant in your garden in May, if you started them now! I'd love to hear how your flower adventure goes!

    ReplyDelete