Monday, February 21, 2011

Look What's in My Basket!

The weekend brought yarn and knitting fun! The best kind of weekend! Holly took me to a fantastic yarn store in Logan on Saturday. It was so elegant (really!) and stocked full of the most exquisite yarns and amazing design books. We wandered the floor, stopping at each shelf, and I think we may have touched every brand of yarn there! I came out with some colorful sock yarn...for me! I'm so excited to make myself purple, pink, and red socks! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these colors!


And while I was visiting Burd and Holly, she started a little baby sweater in a darling lavender yarn, with just a little help from me. She's a newby knitter and not afraid of anything. Look at her go!





That was Saturday. And here are text pictures of her progress that I received from her yesterday and today!









Isn't Holls amazing? She just has the button panel and collar and then she's done! And who will be the lucky recipient?! By the way, this is the Baby Sophisticates sweater I posted here. It's such an easy and fun pattern.

Back to my socks...my plan was to knit two at a time on one long circular set of needles. I bought the book 2 at a Time Socks a couple of weeks ago. So I tried out the method with some extra yarn. What a tangled mess of cables and yarn I made. The book warned me not to get discouraged with the tangles, and to just keep going. But after 4 rows, and a huge mess, it occurred to me that it would be a so much easier to just get a second set of dpns and work the first and second pair of socks at the same time on two different sets of needles. Duh! Just alternating socks every inch or so, or with every change of the pattern.

So I gave up (which is very uncharacteristic of me!) on the circular needle thing. I'm sure it works fabulous for a lot of people; it's just not for me. And I went to town with my new yarn on size 2 dpns. Only I just have one set at this time, so the second sock will come later.   


The good thing is, the book has some beautiful sock patterns that I haven't seen before, so I'm happy I bought it, afterall. I'm using one of its patterns for these socks. It's a simple knit 3 - purl 1 ribbing. I'll get more creative another time. There is enough color variety in my yarn for interest. I didn't want to over-power the great colors with a busy stitch.




Yes, I plan to have happy feet with these socks!




By this evening, I've turned the heel and I am knitting the foot. The yarn fascinates me. It's colorway ranges from deep purple, to fushia, and bright red. These are some of favorite colors!  



It's fun to have something new in my basket, and it's a treat to be knitting for ME this time! ~CJ~

UPDATE: A day after making this post, Holly sent me a picture of her FINISHED baby sweater!


Knitting worked its magic once more. This little sweater hooked Holls so fast! I'm so proud of her. She is a knitting MACHINE and loving it! There's no telling the projects that are in store for her in the future. She's off to a lovely start! ~CJ~

No comments:

Post a Comment