Monday, April 4, 2011

A Knitty, Sewy, Crazy-Weather Weekend

As much as I'm looking forward to spring really coming and staying, I actually enjoy when the weather takes a wintery turn and I feel like sitting inside knitting. That's what happened this weekend. We went from the 70s on Friday to the 30s on Sunday, with snow and even a touch of hail. Yes, those are hail stones on the grass and in the flower bed. They should be blossoms...what's going on?!


It didn't take long for the hail to melt, and here (in the hail-free, dry grass) is my cute little Baby Sophisticates sweater that I've been working on. Spring cannot make up her mind! This time, I made the trim a different color. What do you think?


I just have the sleeves to finish and then it will be time for the buttons. This pattern never fails me. It works up beautifully each time and is so satisfying to knit! 

Holly was home for the weekend and worked on her adorable blue and brown baby sweater. She branched out to a new pattern this time. I love the colors together and the cute ribbing on the neck and bottom. It's really sweet to have knitting in common with my daughter. Our knit-sticky times together are so fun when she comes home for a visit!


Holly whipped up a fat blue chicken, too! I don't have a finished photo yet; more to come! Check back, cause it's too cute to miss!


 
We did a little sewing, too. But mums the word on this one. More in about a week!


Patch-Kitty made herself at home up on my table next to the sewing machines. She's never done that before, and I couldn't resist the photo op. It's my favorite spot, too! (Not on the table, though, in the chair!)


We had a birthday occasion - Holly's - and she put in her order for lemon cake (a variation of my favorite lemon bread recipe). Can you just smell the wonderful, fresh lemon aroma?!


It's dense and lemony, and works perfect in a bundt pan. The best part is the sweet lemon glaze that soaks in while it's hot. I'm sharing the recipe, which has been a family favorite for years. I remember my mom making this as lemon bread since I was a teenager. This recipe below is doubled for the bundt cake pan.

Lemon Bundt Cake

2/3 cup butter
2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk

Cream butter and sugar. Blend eggs into the mixture one at a time. Add flavoring. Blend in milk.

3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt

In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. Blend into wet mixture a little at a time.

2 Tbs grated lemon peel
1 cup nuts (optional)

Fold in lemon peel and nuts.

Pour into greased and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until golden and toothpick comes out clean. Wait 5 minutes and turn cake onto serving plate.

Make glaze of 6 Tbs fresh lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Spoon glaze over hot cake just out of the oven. My mom's tip is to poke little holes in the top of the cake with a toothpick before pouring the glaze over, so it soaks in really well. Thanks, Mom! 


Enjoy! ~CJ~

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so the orange and cream striped sweater is my favorite. How adorable would any baby look in it. And I think I am going to have to buy a bunt pan and make that cake this weekend. I have always wanted to make a bunt cake, just never bought the pan. I love lemons, they are make everything feel fresh, even cakes. We made fresh sqeezed lemonade this weekend, and it was so so good. Love.

    ReplyDelete